Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Love Me Tender

I had arranged a meeting in the afternoon.

Yesterday son came home to tell me parents are invited to today's concert at school. So I had to re-schedule the meeting.

What joy to see him singing 'Consider Yourself' and 'Food Glorious Food' so confidently with the rest of his mates.

He wanted to play 'Ode to Joy' on his clarinet, but one of his best mates is playing that on the violin. After chatting with the teacher, he decided to play 'Love Me Tender'.

He did well. No squeaks. Good tone. Must work on breath control though.

Interestingly he had chosen the clarinet, not the piano, which he is able to play far better than any of his classmates.

A part of me wonders if this is because he thought it was rude to come across as being too good. Is this a sign that he is trying to fit in?

His answer to my probing was a simple: the clarinet is more of a challenge.

So I got asked by other parents how long he had been playing the clarinet.

He started in September at the start of term and had six half-hour lessons.

No comments: